Please take this with a grain of salt. ;)
- Wear whatever color, brand and style of makeup that you like
- Wear bold lips with dramatic eyes
- Wear dark and smokey makeup in the daytime if that's what you feel like
- Try out bright and bold colors even if you are over the age of 30
- Try out something different from your everyday look just for the heck of it
- Try to master a new application technique, even if it looks horrible - it's just makeup, you can wash it off
- Come up with your own unique style and don't let yourself be dictated to
- Try out artistic full face makeup to improve your technique, even if you just wear it at home
- Feel free to go outside without any makeup at all
- Think that the only color of lipstick that can be worn with dramatic eye makeup is nude
- Tell other people that they cannot wear the makeup they have on their face for whatever reason
- Advise women over a certain age that they can't wear fun colors anymore and that they need to look more mature and refined
- Exacerbate people's insecurities by telling them certain makeup doesn't look good on them because it makes their eyes look smaller / lips look too big / face look fat, etc.
- Follow every makeup trend just because it's the latest fad - just wear what you like!
- Idolize celebrities as your one and only fashion and makeup gurus - there's lots more diversity out there
- Be a jerk - most people don't take kindly to others criticizing their face, some common decency goes a long way
I'm not saying people can't constructively criticize - but often this kind of feedback is completely unnecessary and just plain rude. Especially when people decide that foisting rigid rules onto someone is being "constructive" or helpful. You know what - it's not! It's limiting and stifling creativity. So don't tell others what you would have done differently just because it's following some enshrined makeup rule - just do it on your own face and stop stifling some else's creativity.
What are some makeup rules that really irritate you? Do people tell you what kind of makeup you should or should not wear?